Sunday, January 8, 2012

St. Maarten is not my favorite place

Today was a frustrating day, just as the past two had gone. Tropical storm Emily hit which I didn’t realize until I looked out the window when I was about to go out in it, and noticed it was pouring rain and the wind was pretty crazy. They lost my bag, and I had to drive to the airport to pick it up, they wouldn’t deliver it to me. I trudge outside in the pouring, flooding, blinding rain and get soaked before getting into my car. The traffic was horrendous. I get to the airport and ask who I should talk to, to a very large lady who was surrounded by her lazy friends. “Wait right there hunnie I’ll call an agent.” I wait, 5 minutes goes by and I see no one. Her friends leave to go somewhere and she walks right off saying nothing to me, hugging some other friends and chatting up a storm. This bitch didn’t call a damn person. I approached a couple other booths before I finally found someone to get my bag for me, after wasting an extra 40 minutes that I didn’t have in the first place.

I had to pay for the parking, but the machine didn’t take $10 or $20, only lower and I didn’t have it. After I had put in one dollar and was scrounging for change to make the $2 that I owed, the machine timed out and I lost my dollar. Frustrated, I went to a rental car booth of some guy who was just hitting on me and asked him for change for my $10. He gave me the $2 instead. Very thankful, that just made my day a little better, even if it was just because he likes to hit on white women. (To put it frankly.)

I head on back to town and get stuck in a traffic jam, and the traffic jam starts at the airport. I am grimy, dirty, (not showered), in yesterday’s clothes, no makeup, and I have a meeting in 45 minutes. I crawl along in the traffic jam. 10 minutes goes by. 20 minutes. Half hour. Still a bit of a ways from the realtor’s office, and I’m definitely not going to have the time to change. So, I have to go in there dirty. And I do. Then, I drive around and around looking for this small little copy center, after driving by it for about 20 minutes (because I know it has to be there!) I finally find it and I’m relieved because I need to make copies of my reports. I go inside… only to find out that the copy center is a professional printing center that does NOT make copies, and the copy center (the only one) was no longer open today aside from being all the way across town. SWEET. St. Maarten is not my favorite place.

Meeting went fine. I could go back to my hotel, unload my bag, change, get washed up, and waste an hour and a half in the process with transit time. Or, I could go straight to the grocery store dirty. So, I did. Surveying the store took a long time. I got lost on the way home trying to find a restaurant to eat at. Ended up finding one that I had to go to for survey anyways. They were just closing up but I got a nice whole snapper with Caribbean rice and veggies for dinner. It was good but it took forever to pick through the bones. “They were very impressed; you sure do know how to eat a fish, girl. Where you from?” I cleaned the dang thing. They should see how I eat everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment