Sunday, January 8, 2012

Why Statia is NOT like St. Maarten



I love how everyone waves and beeps when you pass anyone on the road, no matter who it is. And at times, you even roll down the windows to say a passing hello, and people help you with things like when you are backing your car up and can’t see. And furthermore, they don’t ask you for anything in return. This place is a world of a difference compared to St. Maarten, which is only a small number of miles away.

I met with a Dutch realtor today. He wasn’t particularly friendly, and seemed like he had a stick in his ass towards Americans. His reaction of why I was here was the same as the Dutch Captain’s that I had met with in Bonaire; you’re American and you’re working for the Dutch government? You mean they couldn’t find a Dutch person to do it? And then, for the 10 millionth time, I explain myself once again. No, Dutch people…. Americans really aren’t bad people. Really.

I asked a manager who worked at my hotel a few questions about availability. Overhearing some of them, like where to get your car fixed and where to buy clothing, the cook burst into laughter. Not on this island! The manager commented about whether he would be mentioned in my report. The cook joked, well if that’s the case, you better not get her lost! (Since he was giving me directions on where to go. ) He said back hell, I don’t think there’s anyone in history who has gotten lost here. If she does, that will be an accomplishment! Instead of getting lost, I drove down tiny one way streets constantly today. I don’t understand the street signs for shit. And surprisingly, there were quite a few cars on the road. Instead of yelling at me to get the hell out of their way and sticking their finger at me (ST. MAARTEN UGH) they just casually waited and then waved when I got out of their way, unless they were letting me go first. (Though I still won’t deny that people drive like maniacs here.)

I was let into the back door of the only island pharmacy so they could give me prices right off the computer. This happened in St. Maarten too so I could check the prices on the cartons, but I thought it was a bigger deal in St. Maarten being one of the most popular and highly regarded on the island. The Dutch girl running the pharmacy didn’t even bother asking me what I was doing. Nor did she notice when I stole the paracetamol…. Just kidding.

I went into an “electronic/furniture/appliance and homegoods” store today which was a joke. Would have gotten through it in 10 minutes if I didn’t need to ask the manager for 3 prices which took an extra half hour. Hair cuts are done through hairdressers that don’t register; all by word of mouth. Countless people stopped to talk to me when I was pricing in the grocery store. Everyone had an upbeat attitude to them, UNLIKE ST. MAARTEN.

I ended the day with speaking to Manny, the owner of Smoke Alley around the bend from my hotel. He had been here for 8 years and soon after he moved his wife decided that a) she didn’t want to be a mom and b) she didn’t want to be married but c) she was going to stay on this island. So, since her divorce from Manny, she has been working at their joint restaurant in the mornings while he has been working at night. How’s that for throwing salt in a wound?

No comments:

Post a Comment