Monday, January 9, 2012

English, Glorious english!


And so it starts again. I leave from my nana’s after dropping my car off, and after trying to call Boston cab to no avail., nana comes to the rescue with a cab company. They pick up right away and send one along in 10 minutes. I hear the beep from the awaiting cab and say my goodbyes to my cutsie nana and she tells taxi may he better take care of me, and that I’ll be away for a while. “Yes of course, then when she comes back she’s going to make me dinner.” Out of left field. Right brother, first… where did that come from and second, just, what? So, the whole ride to the airport I have to listen to Romeo tell me that I need a man. Despite his “oh I’m not trying to hit on you or anything” remarks , I’m pretty sure that he blatantly was. And of course, I was given his number when he dropped me off. You know, just in case I needed a ride home from the airport November 23rd.

The flight from Boston to LAX was pretty miserable. I reluctantly gave up my aisle seat to someone’s friend who was a “nervous” flyer, and who also had a middle seat. I watched “Secretariate” which was actually pretty good, and tried to sleep, but I kept feeling like I ended up with my head nearly on the shoulder of the guy next to me. We had a stewardess that had a classic everything-bad-about-a-Boston-accent. “OH MY GAWWWWWWWWWWD” in a very harsh, loud, smoker’s voice. That was fun.

Oh, LAX. I ate a big, hearty meal at Chili’s since that was all that was available in the terminal, which didn’t fare so well when I got back on the plane : / I’ll spare those details. I only had a couple hours of layover, which was just enough time to stuff my face since American Airlines doesn’t even throw a cookie at us anymore for domestic flights. The Qantas plane was one of those huge, but not super modern planes. Heck, at least we had lots of in flight entertainment though! Not only that, but we also had a customer service attendant on the plane which was meant to primarily deal with, guess! Making the passengers happy and making sure everything went smoothly. I had never seen that before. I luckily was able to sleep for about 10 of the 16 hours we were on the plane. Watched Bridesmaids, The Hangover 2 (keeping with the theme) and some Modern Family. We had to make a detour to Noumea due to storms over the “Gold Coast” especially because the plane needed to refuel. By this point, I didn’t mind. I was so lazy and prone to falling asleep that I didn’t mind that I couldn’t move for an extra 2.5 hours. The view when the plane was taking off, over the ocean where I think a reef was, was just breathtaking. The water was a rainbow of colors, almost as though there had been an oil spill, haha. I couldn’t get a picture because my batteries were dead unfortunately.

On arrival in Brisbane (finally!) I had heard that Australians were quite tough with their rules about bringing things in, even down to dirt on the bottom of shoes. If you have it, it must be quarantined. We were greeted by a lovely G’day! Sign and a number of “g’day mates” walking through the terminal. It was nice! Already had a very friendly and unique atmosphere. And most importantly, ENGLISH!!! I didn’t declare anything, and although the search dog did sit at my bag (my first thought was hmmm… I really don’t think I have drugs in here!) I was then asked if I had had food in there now, or in the past few days, which I replied no, with a look of fear I’m pretty sure…. so the officer said ok, you’re fine. And out I went!

No comments:

Post a Comment