Sunday, January 8, 2012

How about some mangoes?


I went to the mall today. It was very nice, actually; an outdoor mall with a lot of good stores. I went to another mall a couple days ago which was very bad quality. It is a “Chinese market”, where a lot of the goods are fake. Actually, the whole city is almost like being in China. There are Chinese shops and Asians all over the place, though very spread out since it has such a low population. What a bizarre place! Anyways, at the mall, I met this guy there, with crazy hair. I think he caught me looking at him because he was wearing a “Sex is not the answer” shirt, with something below it. Not sure I ever even got a good look at it. I think after that he walked around trying to find me and he did, came right up to me and asked if I wanted to have a cup of coffee. After declining a couple times, I finally said OK. Mostly because it would give me more to write about. He works in a gold mind which I heard has a lot of Brazilian workers, two hours outside the city. He is a cook. He told me his Uncle is a politician and lives at the Marriott where I am staying apparently. Oh, don’t think I’ve mentioned this yet, but the President of Suriname was sentenced to jail for charges having to do with drugs and other such issues. I really have no idea who is in charge of their government for the moment. Sounds like a crazy made-up story, but it’s not. We talked about relationships and deep meanings of things like dreams and then I said I had to go and do more work. I think he was trying to woo me over with his soft, intuitive side. Sorry bud. Poor guy was out wandering alone. He gave me his contact info, but unlike I said I was going to, he’ll probably never hear from me. Another one bites the dust. Ha.

At the mall, an old raggedy man came up to me asking me to buy mangoes from him, in Dutch. I told him English and then said no I didn’t want any, and turned away from him. He came back a few minutes later and asked again. After I turned away from him the first time, I thought hmmm…. I wouldn’t mind a mango right about now. So when he came back I said I would buy one, how much. He said something like 20 guilders and I have no idea what that meant, so I just scrounged for extra change to give him. I ended up putting together what I thought was 1 Suriname dollar and handed it to him. (this is about 30 cents worth) He looked at it and then offered me the whole bag of mangoes. What? No, I just want one. He then said you are a very nice American girl in English and handed me the mango I wanted and walked away. I then realized that the Suriname dollar coins I gave him were 4 250 cent coins, so I gave him 1000 cents which is ten dollars. Oops, haha. Oh well, I’m pretty sure I just made that poor guy’s week! Nothing too wrong with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment